Preparing your child to welcome a little brother or sister : advice for parents The arrival of a new baby within the family is an exciting and transformative...
7 practical tips to help your baby
sleep through the night
Sleep is essential for the health and well-being of you and your baby, but establishing an effective sleep routine can be difficult, especially if your baby wakes often during the night.
In this article, we offer 7 practical tips to help your baby sleep through the night.
How to establish a sleep routine ?
Babies need routine and structure to feel secure. Try to create a consistent sleep routine by giving your baby a bath, reading a story, and singing a lullaby before bedtime. Try to keep the same bedtime and wake-up times every day, even on weekends.
• Create a comfortable sleeping environment: make sure your baby’s room is comfortable and suitable for sleeping. Keep the bedroom at a comfortable temperature, use a soft nightlight if needed, and use comfortable bedding. Avoid putting blankets or pillows in your baby’s bed to reduce the risk of suffocation.
• Avoiding stimulants: make sure your baby is not hungry or thirsty before bedtime, and avoid giving them foods or drinks containing caffeine or sugar before bedtime. Also avoid stimulating your baby with toys or activities before bedtime.
• Get to know your baby’s sleep cues: every baby is different, and it’s important to know when your baby is tired so you can put him to bed before it is not too late. Sleep signals include yawning, eye-rubbing, ear-rubbing, and slowing of movement.
• Be consistent: Consistency is the key to establishing an effective sleep routine for your baby. Be consistent in how you handle your baby’s nighttime awakenings. Avoid changing your sleeping routine or method too often, as this can disrupt your baby’s routine.
- Encourage independence: Encourage your baby’s independence by helping them learn to fall asleep on their own. This means they should learn to fall asleep without being rocked or fed. If your baby cries, wait a few minutes before going to them as they may calm down on their own.
- Avoid night-time feeding: Feeding your baby throughout the night can create a dependency and make it harder for them to fall back asleep on their own. Try gradually reducing night-time feedings. If your baby wakes up at night, try comforting them with gentle touches or soothing words instead of feeding them.
- Manage sleep disturbances: It is common for babies to wake up at night or have nightmares. When this happens, make sure your baby is safe and comfortable, then calmly and gently comfort them. It’s important not to overstimulate them as this could prevent them from falling back asleep.
Establishing an effective sleep routine for your baby can take time and requires patience, but the rewards are worth it. By following these practical tips, you can help your baby sleep through the night and get the rest he needs to grow and develop healthy. And for the parents, it’s even more pleasant !
Did you know? With the Coogli application, you can record your baby’s sleep times in order to follow his progress and better organize your daily life. Coogli is available on the Android and Apple stores, to download it, click on the buttons below :